The Stroumboulopouli

The Stroumboulopouli

The place to get the latest news on what’s coming up on #Gtonight. Find out what Canada’s boyfriend is up to. Share stories, pictures, favourite tv and radio episodes.

CBC TV & Radio shows plus HNIC

His work with Artists for Peace and Justice

UN Ambassadorship for The World Food Programme

Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Promotional Tours & Talk Shows

Yesterday I was reading the English free weekly papers here in Montreal and found two different interviews with Rufus Wainwright (1 & 2). He is also on The Hour tonight. He is a Montreal born musician so it makes sense that he would get a lot of coverage here as he releases his new album. He clearly is doing a specific part of his job now – promotion.

I think it makes sense that actors, authors, musicians, and athletes will hit the airwaves and other media outlets to get people interested in their activities, projects and products, and for politicians, their policy and books. Unless people hear about them there will be no awareness of what they are up to and consequently no sales (especially if they need to cater to middle America for their careers). Of course these promotional tours are scheduled. They are not done on a whim. Getting them on your talk show is rarely a scoop unless they seldom do press (perhaps Stephen King on The Hour is one – I cannot say I have seen a recent TV interview on a main network channel with him).

For some people this press tour business comes off as artificial, which I can appreciate, but it also makes sense to me. Recently I spoke to a musician about his project scheduling and he told me how he liked getting out there to talk about his stuff when it is time to do so. It is a change of pace as well as an opportunity to share what he has worked on for months, often alone, in the studio. It is part of the ebb and flow of the project.

The other issue some people take with it is that promotion of one product becomes content for another – which in turn gets promoted as well. They do not see substance. I do not I agree with this. I see value in hearing people speak about their projects. I am often exposed to something I would not normally have found on my own. I often get some insight into how the project came to fruition. I like the behind the scenes kind of information. I like learning about an artist’s life history and their process. I think that is substance.

I really do not think there is anything wrong with how talk shows are platforms for this kind of content. Even if there is repetition in terms of guests each talk show has a slightly different format and attitude and each provides a different context. Lots of people go on publicity tours and each show picks who they will feature.

I appreciate The Hour’s selection more often than not. According to a statement made to another blogger who is on the show is determined by the producers, and in the end George, not by PR people. It makes me think it must be freeing to have that control as compared to other possible talk show gigs.

In any case, there have been many people this season that I was glad were on The Hour. I was happy they were doing some promotion so I got to see George interview them (two actors off the top of my head - John Cusack and Steve Bushemi). And there is always Portrait of Canadians to highlight those folks outside of the mainstream who are just doing there thing and not out to sell anything which is pretty neat too.

No comments: