The Stroumboulopouli

The Stroumboulopouli

The place to get the latest news on what’s coming up on #Gtonight. Find out what Canada’s boyfriend is up to. Share stories, pictures, favourite tv and radio episodes.

CBC TV & Radio shows plus HNIC

His work with Artists for Peace and Justice

UN Ambassadorship for The World Food Programme

Saturday, November 01, 2008

<<<< REWIND <<<<


It was an interesting cast of characters on The Hour this week. I wonder what it's like sitting down to Thanksgiving dinner with William Shatner, like Henry Rollins did. The Pop Cardz that George talked about in The News? Good lordy... really? Seriously? We need more trading cards, this time with celebrities on them? Right. Moving on. Charlie Kaufman was really fascinating, it's unfortunate that he doesn't do more interviews because I'd like to hear more from him, but what a coup for The Hour since he doesn't.

The punchline in Tuesday's cold open... hi-freakin'-larious! "Hello and welcome to The Hour... I'm your boyfriend Paul Martin." Awesome. Speaking of Paul Martin, I really enjoyed his interview, I think it's my favourite of the week. I thought he was very engaging and open to George's questions and was able to inject some humour and a few good zingers into the interview. Richard Price has done some pretty crazy stuff in his life, some of it in the name of "research", so it's no surprise why he's a kickass author.

I'll admit that I've read a lot about the Kennedy family over the years, so I was really interested to hear from Robert F. Kennedy jr. I enjoyed his reminiscing about the Democratic convention he went to as a child compared to this year's. I also thought that he was bang on when he said that "foreign policy is a sense of the use of the different kinds of power and understanding other people's cultures." I've followed Waterkeeper in Canada since doing some research about the Lake Ontario watershed and I recommend taking a look at their website. Lewis Black is one of those comedians that is hit or miss for me. Sometimes he makes some really good points and other times I think he's just a raving lunatic. I think this was the first time I'd heard him just talk, rather than rant. It gave me a little insight into where his rants come from.

I love the War of the Worlds broadcast, I think it's absolutely brilliant. I can't believe it's 70 years old. Orson Welles was definitely ahead of his time. And the CEOs at Google bought a FIGHTER JET? Really? I remember being fascinated by Ray Zahab when he was on The Hour last season, but running in the Antartic? Really. Insanity. I mean, running to bring attention to global warming is a great thing, but running in moon boot-like boots? Yeah. No. Honestly, I think it's great that he's pushing himself to do all of these runs and I think it's great that he's trying to inspire the younger generations. Kevin Smith is... Kevin Smith and I honestly don't know what to think of the guy. I think it's absolutely amazing that he got his first movie made for 27 grand and that it launched his amazingly successful career, and his new movie definitely appeals to a specific target audience (as all movies do). I don't know, I just don't know what to think about the guy. I absolutely agree with the Top Five Worst Hallowe'en Treats, I hated getting apples in my treats... but I found the perfect solution for the raisins. By themselves in the box they are pretty lame, but I used to get so many of them that we'd have enough to use them in a batch of Oatmeal Cookies. Problem solved. ;)

~Mich

1 comment:

Barbara said...

Reading your rewind is like looking through a photo album and saying yeah I remember that, I liked that or I felt differently about that. :-)
All comments are welcome.
The new Kevin Smith Film was what I went to see last night dressed up like an angel. My friend was dressed up like a devil and we both enjoyed the film. Although I had to take my halo off for the film out of respect... :-D